The Valley Blanche, the famous off piste descent of Chamonix-Mont-Blanc : a 22 km off-piste itinerary descent in the heart of the Mont Blanc massif. Please, contact the local high-mountain professionals and set your own itinerary.
The Hotel Chamonix Les Aiglons is ideally located in the heart of the valley to experiment this off piste descent.
Accessible from Aiguille du Midi cable car, you will come down in skis till Chamonix-Mont-Blanc (1,500 meters). This adventure trip is accessible to most intermediate skiers and snowboarders.
The descent of the Valley Blanche can be realized from mid-december to the end of April according to the years because it depends strongly on the snow conditions.
Several routes of this off piste descent are possible :
- The classic Valley Blanche is the original route and the easiest. It will be amazing to ski in the middle of the Mont-Blanc range.
- The Petit Envers du Plan : The “Envers du Plan” Valley Blanche is a more difficult and stepper route. You will pass through labyrinth of magic glacier formations of crevasses.
- The Grand Envers is a big challenge for only excellent off-piste skiers. It includes steep slopes with an average gradient from 40 to 45 degrees. To experiment this greatest descent of the Alps by tne Grand Envers, you have to have a full control of your skis and a high off-piste technical level.
Before embarking on a such wonderful but ambitious adventure, it seems important to mention some points. Here, navigation, crevasse danger and distance from assistance make taking a guide essential for safety reasons. A guide will accompany you, explain things to you and show you things.
– A ski or snowboard intermediate level is required : this high mountain route is not marked, nor secured and monitored. At least you should know skiing on red or black tracks. However, several factors can reduce your technical and physical abilities (temperatures, wind, fog, the cold, the different types of snow, the ridges, the hidden crevasses….)
The Valley Blanche descent requires a perfect control of your speed and path but also a good physical conditions. The presence of a high-mountain professional is highly recommended.
– The necessary equipment for the Valley Blanche descent :
- Ice axe
- Measuring tube
- The material necessary for rescue out of a crevasse
– The personal kit :
- Warm clothes
- A backpack with drinks and foods
The Valley Blanche descent lasts approximatively from 4 to 6 hours. It is strictly not recommended to leave the afternoon and go alone.
Your 4-star hotel Les Aiglons invites you to contact directly the Chamonix high-mountain professionals. For the less experienced skiers, the Chamonix Valley offers numerous ski resorts.